Sunday, April 02, 2006

Candy from a baby

When I was growing up my mom would have a jar of sorts placed in the living room during the weeks preceding Resurrection Sunday and Christmas. In it would be various candies, and my siblings and I would try to sneak a morsel as often as possible. One of my favorite candies was the jelly bean, but not just any jelly bean. I liked the Brachs Jelly Bird Eggs above all others, possibly because of their perfect combination of hard-ish outer coating and oh-so-yummy insides. I really liked those jelly beans, I tell ya.

Weird thing is, as I grew up, I stopped having them. I don't mean I stopped liking them, but I stopped eating them nearly altogether because I was no longer living at my parents' house. During most of college I lived in a run-down brick house with several other guys and never made the effort to plunk down $1.50 for a bag of those delicious jelly beans. I remember going to the store during the season of Lent and seeing them on the shelves, but never purchasing them. I don't know why, but I do know that if I was ever at my parents' house and there were jelly beans in the jar I would eat them until I was sick of them.

You know how some people, upon seeing a food that they remember fondly from childhood, will scream "Oh I love those!" but when offered a bite or piece of said food, either decline it entirely or only partake in the smallest amount?

Well, the other day I snagged a bag of those Brachs Jelly Bird Eggs and you know what? They really are good. Like, very very good. I don't know why I waited so long to spend $1.80 (inflation...what can ya do?) on 16 ounces of happiness, but I'm sure glad I did. I also bought a bag of Robin Eggs which are very very delicious chocolate-covered malted milk balls that I used to eat at work.

So the moral of the story? I'm not sure, except that you should go try some of those things you used to enjoy. Chances are you'll be glad you did.

No comments: