Sunday, March 09, 2008

Goodness only knows

A few weeks ago my wife, our friend Sarah, and I went to the local $2 second-run theatre where the two of them went to see Enchanted and I solo'd it to The Mist. I was expecting a moody ethereal mystery with a shocking "holy cow, I didn't see that coming!" ending in the vein of Shawshank Redemption, but was instead obliged to endure two of the stupidest hours of movie-watching I have ever taken part in. Please, for all of you seeking a good movie to watch, do not see The Mist. It's just dumb. And if you email me, I will happily tell you why, but this is supposed to be a positive blog, so here ends my commentary about it. Enchanted, as was reported by my wife and Sarah, was very good, and so last night when my cousin Beth came for a visit, the three of us went to see Enchanted together.

I must admit I was a bit hesitant, especially when I found out that there were song-and-dance numbers in the movie, but man, I am sure glad we went. Honestly, it was one of the most thoroughly enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. A long time. It wasn't trying to be earth-shattering in its significance, or mind-changing in its message...no, it was just a really fun fish-out-of-water tale with some great acting, top-notch GCI work, and, (dare I say it?) some really good musical bits too. I'm not kidding, I was laughing out loud dozens of times during the show, and enjoying virtually every minute of it.

And yes, I do own Predator, The Godfather 1 and 2, all four Alien movies, all three Lord of the Rings movies, and have most of Star Wars memorized. But seriously, go check out Enchanted. It's that good.

Three months ago it would be growing dark right about now, but here we are, nearly 4pm, and it's still a bright sunny (albeit a tad chilly) day. Thank the Lord for Daylight Savings Time. I would much rather exchange one 23-hour day for six months of extra light in the evening.

My wife and I leave for Washington DC in one week. I have never been there, and I'm pretty excited about seeing the Mall, the Library of Congress, and the Air and Space museum. I just hope our camera's memory card is up to the task...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and i expect to see all the zillions of pictures when you get back--fun! (we can distract jon with something else) :) have fun on your trip!