Sunday, June 22, 2008

Back to the Voyager

This afternoon I went to the "Back to the 50s" car show at the State Fair Grounds near our place. I'm not really all that interested in old cars, but my friend Matt had a restored Chevy Nomad in the show, so I mostly went to see him along with my cousin (also named Matt) and one of their friends, Brian. We chatted for a while, watching people stroll by and check out the Nomad, and then went to see some of the other cars at the show. Highlights included, but were not limited to the following...

(click all photos for much larger versions)
One of several "Rat Rods" that were super old cars modified with all kinds of parts that looked like they were just welded on by a drunk mechanic with a Frankenstein complex. This one really was that low to the ground.

Another Rat Rod. The photo kind of speaks for itself. Yes, those are boat seats. Yes, there is a Vice Grip on the shifter. No, I did not get to ride in it.

The engine compartment of the above RR. Note the plastic jug that serves as the coolant overflow tank...

A Dodge Delivery Van. This photo is for my brother Tom, who once, along with his friend Dan, drove his minivan from Lincoln to Saint Paul in the summer with a canoe tied to the top. It was 90 degrees that day, the van had no AC, both guys drank over a gallon of water, and they never stopped to go the bathroom...

Note the comfy driver accommodations of the Delivery Van. To make up for such modest surroundings, there's always the couch, I guess. And yes, the tape deck does feature Auto Reverse. Yuss!

And finally...
This is me standing next to none other than a Ford Edsel. Like I said, I'm not a huge car fan, but this one caught my eye because I remember my dad telling me about the infamous Edsel when I was a kid, and until now I had not seen one in person. In addition to the nostalgia factor, though, was a much more nerdy motivation: the Edsel was once mentioned by Tom Paris in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager.

I did tell my cousin the second reason for the photo until after he took it. And for the record, that is a Root Beer in my hand. :)

1 comment:

jessrings said...

I really liked the delivery fan. It's crazy to think that vehicles like that still exist. I finally saw Matt's "allinmygarage.com" site. It was awesome. I really liked Brian's sweet Lincoln, which I guess is one in the same of Matt's old Lincoln? I don't have that same car passion but it's sure fun watching those that do.